Turning 65 Checklist
Planning well in advance of your Medicare eligibility can help you get every dollar in Medicare benefits you have coming to you. Here, in a nutshell, is what you should do and when you should do it.
12-9 months before your 65th birthday
- Think about how you want to spend your retirement. Do you plan on traveling or taking on new hobbies? Try to estimate how much your post-retirement ambitions and activities will cost.
- Set up your post-retirement budget. Talk to someone about your retirement financial goals and make a list of your expenses or financial obligations.
- Meet with your employee benefits department or call your existing health plan to learn about plan options available to you after retirement.
8-5 months before your 65th birthday
- Review your Social Security statement to be sure your stated income is correct.
Having wrong information could affect your retirement benefits.
- Take time to read up on the parts of Medicare.
- Ask your doctors if they participate in Medicare. It's good to know this now, so you can choose the right plan later.
4 months before your 65th birthday
- Review your current health plan and compare how that coverage may change after you become Medicare-eligible. Your health insurer, employer, or Benefits Administrator can help.
- Confirm your eligibility for Medicare benefits by contacting the Social Security Administration at www.socialsecurity.gov or 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778). While you are on the phone see if you can apply for Social Security retirement benefits!
3-2 months before your 65th birthday
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B by contacting the Social Security Administration at www.socialsecurity.gov or 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778).
- Review your plan options and decide whether you want to select a Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan with or without Part D prescription drug coverage, a supplemental Medicare health plan or a Part D plan.
1 month before your 65th birthday
- Enroll in your plan choice: Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan with or without Part D prescription drug coverage, a supplemental Medicare health plan or a Part D plan.
- Call us at 1-877-393-6733 (TTY/TDD: 711) 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., 7 days a week, to answer any further questions you may have regarding your coverage options.
On your 65th birthday
Relax and enjoy it. If you have followed the steps outlined above, you will have all the coverage you want in place.
Website Last Updated: 10/1/2016
Y0041_HM_17_43499 Approved 10/7/2016